The template Autofy sync between Salesforce (SF) and QuickBooks (QB) does a few key things for you right out of the box. They are organized into 3 "steps" or "operations" - one for each object being handled. In Autofy Workflows, you can choose which one you'd like to run during a sync.
Note: Before you start syncing, you should make sure Customer and Item names match exactly.
Salesforce Opportunities to QuickBooks Transactions
With this sync process enabled, Autofy will bring SF Opportunities to QB that meet the following criteria:
- The Opportunity was created after you set up Autofy, and it was edited after the last sync was run.
- It's marked "closed/won" - specifically, marked as any stage of Type "Closed/Won". Any Opportunity stage in SF can given this Type.
When this sync operation occurs, Autofy does a few things to validate the data, to ensure no junk data gets entered into your QuickBooks.
- First, it checks to see if the associated SF Account exists as a Customer or Job in QB. If it does, Autofy will put your transaction under that Customer or Job. If it doesn't, then Autofy will create the Account as a new Customer in QB.
- Next, it checks to see if the Opportunity Product Name matches to a valid QuickBooks item name in the QB Item List. It's important that valid items are found, because QuickBooks maps items to General Ledger (GL) accounts, to recognize revenue appropriately. If there are no line items found on the Opportunity (as Opportunity Products), then QB will reject the transaction, and Autofy will give an error message.
If you choose Invoice for your QB transaction option, then Autofy will perform further action. After creating the QB Invoice, Autofy will select a sparse subset of data (known informally as the "Sparse Update"), and bounce the data back to Salesforce in the related Opportunity header. These fields are:
- Invoice Number
- Invoice Date
- Open Balance (the unpaid balance of the Invoice, updated each sync)
QuickBooks Customers to Salesforce Accounts
With this sync process enabled, Autofy will bring the entire QB Customer list (for Customers active in the last 2 years) to Salesforce as Accounts. Autofy will attempt to find the Customer in SF first by doing a name match. If found, Autofy will update the record in Salesforce.
If not found, Autofy will create a new Account. As mentioned above, it's important with any integration project to make sure that record names match between systems.
QuickBooks Items to Salesforce Products
With this sync process enabled, Autofy will bring the entire QB Item list (for Items active in the last 2 years) to Salesforce as Products. Autofy will attempt to find the Item in SF first by doing a name match. If found, Autofy will update the record in Salesforce.
It's important to have matching Items between QuickBooks and Salesforce, and keeping this sync process on will ensure Salesforce is populated with valid QuickBooks items, for use in future Opportunities.